Skip to main content


Payroll Services serves the College's diverse customer base by providing accurate and timely compensation to all staff, faculty, and student employees in an efficient manner. We are committed to maintaining the most current understanding of Federal, State, and College regulations regarding payroll in order to provide accurate information.

We are located in the Central Services building in the Human Resources Suite on the first floor and are available Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 5:00pm. Questions can also be sent to our email

Payroll resources

Payroll Forms

Find all the forms you need such as time sheets, direct deposits, deductions or withholdings, stop payments, and more.

Pay Schedule

Get the latest schedule of pay periods and pay dates for the College community.

Leave Request

Access forms to request the variety of ways you can take time off of work.


Important Correspondence

Access important correspondence

Frequently Asked Questions

Federal Withholding Taxes are calculated based on the IRS federal tax table. The calculation is based on your bi-weekly gross amount and the W-4 exemption certificate that you completed. If the gross did not meet the federal tax table minimum, no tax will be taken. You can chose to pay additional federal tax by completing a new W-4. (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.)

Print the W-4 Employee's Federal Withholding Form (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.) , complete it, sign it and send it to the Payroll Office for processing. The change will be effective on the next payroll processed unless there is an effective date indicated on the top right margin of the tax form. These forms require both a social security number and an M number in order to be processed. Please write your MC ID number next to your last name.

Montgomery College will withhold state tax from residents of Maryland (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.) , Virginia (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.) , the Districtnew window, West Virginia (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.) , and Pennsylvania (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.) . There is no form for Pennsylvania; a flat tax rate will be withheld automatically.

The new design reduces the form’s complexity and increases the transparency and accuracy of the withholding system. While it uses the same underlying information as the old design, it replaces complicated worksheets with more straightforward questions that make accurate withholding easier for employees.
Allowances are no longer used for the redesigned Form W-4 to increase transparency, simplicity, and accuracy. In the past, the value of a withholding allowance was tied to the amount of the personal exemption. Due to changes in law, currently you cannot claim personal exemptions or dependency exemptions.

No.  Employees who have submitted Form W-4 in any year before 2020 are not required to submit a new form merely because of the redesign. Employers will continue to compute withholding based on the information from the employee’s most recently submitted Form W-4.

Yes. The form is divided into 5 steps.  The only two steps required for all employees are Step 1, where you enter personal information like your name and filing status, and Step 5, where you sign the form. If Steps 2 – 4 apply to you, your withholding will more accurately match your tax liability if you complete them.  Understanding the 2020 Form W-4 and how to use window 

Your withholding will be computed based on your filing status’s standard deduction and tax rates, with no other adjustments.

Your should increase your withholding if:

  • you hold more than one job at a time or you and your spouse both have jobs (Step 2) or
  • you have income from sources other than jobs that is not subject to withholding (line 4a)

If you do not make adjustments, you will likely owe additional tax when filing your tax return, and you may owe interest and penalties. With regard to income from other sources, you can pay estimated tax instead of having extra withholding. 

If you are eligible for income tax credits such as the child tax credit or credit for other dependents,  and/or you are eligible for deductions (other than the standard deduction), you can follow the instructions described in lines 3 and 4b to decrease your withholdings by the appropriate amount.
The redesigned Form W-4 makes it easier for you to have your withholding match your tax liability.  But some employees may prefer to have more of their money withheld from their paychecks throughout the year and then get that money back as a refund when they file their tax returns.  The simplest way to increase your withholding is to enter on line 4c the additional amount you would like your employer to withhold from each paycheck after your Form W-4 takes effect.  You also can check the box in Step 2(c) to have an additional amount withheld for reasons other than multiple jobs. Whether you will be due a refund (and, if so, the amount of your refund) when you file your tax return depends on the details of your entire tax situation. 
Tax rates increase as income rises, and only one standard deduction can be claimed on each tax return, regardless of the number of jobs in the household.  Therefore, if you have more than one job at a time or are married filing jointly and both you and your spouse work, more money should usually be withheld from the combined pay for all the jobs than would be withheld if each job was considered by itself.  Adjustments to your withholding usually should be made to avoid owing additional tax, and potentially penalties and interest, when you file your tax return.  All of this has been true for many years; it did not change with the recent tax law changes.  The old Form W-4 accounted for multiple jobs using detailed instructions and worksheets that many employees may have overlooked.  Step 2 of the redesigned Form W-4 lists three different options you may choose from to make the necessary withholding adjustments. 

Step 2 allows you to choose one of three options, which involve tradeoffs between accuracy, privacy, and ease of use:

  • Option 1: For maximum accuracy and privacy (to avoid revealing to your employer on your W-4 that you have multiple jobs) use the Tax Withholding Estimator at You will be guided to enter an additional amount to withhold on line 4c. You will need to know the approximate amount of pay for each job, but you will need to enter the additional amount on the Form W-4 for only one of the jobs. If pay for any of the jobs changes significantly, you will need to furnish a new Form W-4 to have accurate withholding.

  • Option 2: If you do not have access to the online Tax Withholding Estimator but wish to have roughly accurate withholding while retaining privacy, you may use Worksheet 1 on page 3 and similarly be guided to enter an additional amount to withhold on line 4c. You will need to know the approximate amount of pay for each job, but you will need to enter the additional amount on the Form W-4 for only one of the jobs.  If pay for any of the jobs changes the additional withholding amount in the look-up table, you will need to furnish a new Form W-4 to have accurate withholding.

  • Option 3: If there are only two jobs held at the same time in your household, you may check the box in Step 2 on the forms for both jobs.  The standard deduction and tax brackets will be divided equally between the two jobs. You would not need to furnish a new Form W-4 to account for pay changes at either job. This option is less accurate—more tax than necessary may be withheld from your wages—but you generally won’t have too little tax withheld. (The more similar the earnings at the two jobs, the more accurate this option will be. To get an idea of how much over-withholding you can expect in your case, see the tables that will be provided in the 2020 Pub. 505.) This option reveals to your employer on your W-4 that you have multiple jobs in your household.  But it also is the easiest option to use: just check the box.
In general, making these adjustments on the Form W-4 for the highest paying job increases accuracy. However, if the jobs in your household pay about the same or if the job that pays more changes over time, it is less important which Form W-4 is used to make the adjustment.
If you have self-employment income, you will generally owe both income tax and self-employment tax.  Form W-4 is primarily intended to be used by employees who are not subject to self-employment tax.  Thus, like the old Form W-4, the redesigned Form W-4 does not compute self-employment tax.  If you would like to use Form W-4 to make an adjustment to your withholding to account for self-employment income that you will receive from another source, use the Tax Withholding Estimator at or refer to IRS Publication 505.
You are not required to have tax on non-wage income withheld from your paycheck.  Instead, you can pay estimated tax on this income using Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals. However, if you want to use Form W-4 to have tax for this income withheld from your paycheck, you have two options.  You can report the income on line 4a. If you don’t want to report this income directly on line 4a, you can use the Tax Withholding Estimator at The estimator will help you calculate the additional amount of tax that should be withheld from your paycheck. You will then enter that amount on line 4c, without reporting the income to your employer. You also can check the box in Step 2(c) to have an additional amount withheld for reasons other than multiple jobs. If you expect to have dividend or capital gain income, your withholding will be more accurate if you have the estimator compute the withholding adjustment rather than reporting this income on line 4a.

Yes. To provide maximum accuracy, you are encouraged to use the Tax Withholding Estimatornew window. Updates and improvements to the estimator are underway that will be compatible with the redesigned Form W-4 in 2020. You may wish to use the withholding estimator if you:

  • expect to work only part of the year,
  • have dividend or capital gain income or are subject to additional taxes, such as the net investment income tax,
  • have self-employment income, 
  • prefer the most accurate withholding for multiple job situations, or 
  • prefer to limit information provided in Steps 2–4 but do not want to sacrifice accuracy.
Time Entry
  1. Any changes made by H/R after time sheet has been opened by the employee will be reflected on the next payroll. A paper time sheet will be required for that pay cycle.
  2. If the web entry deadline has passed.

Attempts to access web entry after 12 noon on the time sheet cut off day will not work. A paper time sheet must be submitted to payroll.

Please contact payroll if you are unable to access your time sheet on line.


The time sheets are available for time entry on the first Wednesday of the pay period.

The Payroll Office recommends that early in the pay period each employee should access his/her time sheet and enter the hours and/or leaves anticipated for the pay period. Re-access the time sheet before the time cutoff to make any changes or updates.  Record the correct type of leave used, even if there is an insufficient balance. The system will automatically default any excess sick and personal leave to annual leave and excess annual leave to leave without pay.

All time must be submitted and approved before the deadline of 12 noon on the time sheet cut off day.

Web entry time sheet can be changed by clicking on Return Time. If clicked by the approver, it will return the time entry form back to “Pending”. If clicked by the employee, it will return the time entry form back to “In Progress”.

You will be required to submit a paper time sheet with your Supervisors approval.

You will not be paid on that pay cycle and you will have to wait until the following pay period for the back pay.

Payroll staff members have the capability to approve your time. However, they have no way of determining that the hours are correct and will attempt to get a time sheet approval from the supervisor.
From MyMC, click on the “leave Balance” icon.
You cannot report more hours as regular pay or leave than your position is budgeted for. You must record all hours worked or leave on each day according to your normal work schedule. ALL additional hours must be recorded as OTR (overtime regular) until you work more than forty hours in one week and become eligible for OTS or OTP (overtime straight and overtime pay). Never record additional hours as REGULAR PAY.
NO, hours worked in excess of 40 in a given week will be paid at straight time.

Non-exempt employees are entitled to overtime pay if hours worked are over 40 hours in a given week. For web entry submission, record your overtime worked on the line for overtime under each day the overtime was worked.

On paper time sheet record overtime worked over 40 hours on the overtime line and enter the code OTP.  Follow the line to the day of the week worked. Under each day record your overtime, must have regular hours over 40 in a given week before one can claim overtime.

As an Approver you are responsible for establishing a backup process (assigning a Proxy) for approvals when you are unavailable to approve time sheets before the deadline. You must have one or more Proxies set up in Banner so that they can approve time sheets in your place when they are notified that you will be absent. You have the ability to access Banner Web Time Entry from any PC at any location outside of the College as long as it has Internet capabilities.

Only full time college employee can act as proxies. Students and Temps are not allowed to proxy. From your approval queue, stroll down to the bottom; click on Proxy button.  From the drop down menu select the desired name and click SAVE.

To delete a person, from the drop down menu select the desired name and click DELETE.

NOTE: Proxies cannot have proxies. 

The account manager in each area grants signature authority for his/her area of responsibility usually to the immediate supervisor. The supervisor should sign for the individuals supervised. If no authorization is on file, the next level up on the chain of command has authority.
No. Federal guidelines state that hours worked by federal work study must be monitored and approved. Payment will be delayed until payroll receives a signed and approved paper time sheet.
After 12 noon on Friday, the web entry cut-off time, no web time entry is permitted. If no paper time sheet is received by the payroll office by the following Monday at 10 am the employee will not be paid. A paper time sheet must be submitted and will be paid on the following pay cycle.
For a paper time sheet, write the account number in the blank space on the left next to the word “other” and have the account manager initial it. If time is entered on the web, have the account manager e-mail payroll with the Name, MC ID#, date, hours worked and the account to charge.
The Time System automatically records Holiday hours on your time sheet based on the work schedule set up in your HR/Payroll record.  If the pre-populated Holiday Hours are incorrect, please correct the Holiday Hours and submit your time to your Supervisor for approval. 

For those employees who are scheduled to work on a day the College is Closed and not designated as essential personnel or not otherwise required to work, administrative leave shall be granted for the hours which the College is closed.

Employees should report their normal work hours in the time sheet row entitled “Administrative Leave.” Those employees with an alternative work schedule agreement should report their administrative leave in accordance with their normal work schedule as outlined in their respective agreements. Any other scheduled leave taken when administrative leave is granted should also be reported as administrative leave.

Casual Temporary Employees, Students and Work Study: 

  • Per our procedure, no administrative leave is granted for casual temporary employees, students or Work Study. Those casual temporary employees who were required to work should report hours worked per normal practice.

Those employees designated as essential personnel or otherwise required to work during the closing should report their time as follows:

  • Non-Exempt: A non-exempt employee required to work during the closing should enter the hours worked during their normal work hours on the time sheet in the row entitled “Essential Pay Overtime.” For hours worked outside their normal work hours, enter all such time as “Essential Personnel Premium.” Hours granted as administrative leave should be entered on the time sheet in the row entitled “Administrative Leave.”
  • Exempt-Essential: An exempt employee who is designated as Essential Personnel and required to work during the closing should enter actual hours worked on the time sheet in the row entitled “Essential Pay Straight.” For hours worked outside their normal work hours, enter all such time as “OTS.” Hours granted as administrative leave should be entered on the time sheet in the row entitled “Administrative Leave.”
  • Exempt-Required to Work: All exempt required to work during the closing and not designated as essential may be granted straight overtime at the discretion of their first line administrator. If such permission is granted, employees should enter actual hours worked on the time sheet in the row entitled “OTS,” hours granted as administrative leave should be entered on the time sheet in the row entitled “Administrative Leave.
The tax form should be the state of residence, in this case Maryland.
Student employees are exempt from paying social security and medicare when working for the college.
Payroll receives notification from our bank informing us of changes to individual account numbers and/or routing numbers. Payroll prenotes (tests) this change and it generates a manual check.  Employee will be notified when such change is made to his/or her account.
Download and complete the direct deposit authorization form (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.-Link opens in new window.) and submit it to the Payroll Office along with a voided check (or a copy of a check). Do not send a deposit slip because the numbers are often different from the account number. Please do not close your existing bank account until your new direct deposit has taken effect. It takes TWO pay periods for a new direct deposit to be effective.  The first payment after the completion of a form will be paid by physical check.   All checks will be mailed to the home address on record. The second payment will be deposited to the new account.

Payroll mails the paychecks the day before check date. Payroll recommends Direct Deposit.

You can setup as many as three direct deposit accounts. Account numbers must be different for each direct deposit.

W-2 earnings in Box 1 are your Federal Taxable Wages. Your direct deposit amounts are your net earnings after taxes. The amounts are shown on your pay advice available through MyMC.


Direct Deposit is an Automated Clearing House (ACH) transaction that is a safe, proven,  confidential method of receiving a payment. With Direct Deposit, money is electronically transferred into a checking or savings account.
When the Payroll Department inputs your Direct Deposit information into the payroll system, your bank account information is verified through a process known as a pre-note. The pre-note transaction is sent to your bank to make sure the account information is correct. You will receive a paper check when this pre-note is processed. You will receive your pay directly deposited into your account with the following pay cycle and every pay period going forward.
All Montgomery College staff are eligible to participate in Direct Deposit. It allows employees to divide their pay into up to three (3) different accounts as they wish. Automatically saving or investing funds this way adds up.

There are several reasons to use direct deposit for your biweekly payroll:

  • Your pay will be in your bank account as of the bank opening on payday, sometimes sooner depending on your banking institution
  • You can split your net pay in to as many as three (3) separate bank accounts
  • Your direct deposit information can be changed later if you decide to change your bank or the amount going to any of your accounts
  • You will no longer wait for your paper check to be mailed to your home address
  • Individuals on direct deposit do not have to go to the bank to deposit a check 
Payroll Direct Deposit has been available for almost 40 years. In short, checks are usually safe, but Direct Deposit is safest. For banks, check fraud is a multi-billion-dollar annual problem. Direct Deposit can eliminate these problems. It is the most private, safe, proven way to receive your biweekly pay. 
Direct Deposit questions can be sent to the Payroll Department 
Reminders, Requests, and Cautions Regarding Time Sheets

Signed paper time sheets must be in the Payroll Office by 2:00 p.m., the second Wednesday of the pay period. Payroll will send weekly college wide e-mails of time sheet due dates and early deadlines if applicable. The deadlines are also included on the schedule of pay periods and pay datesnew window.  Approvers are encouraged to use their e-mail calendars to send themselves a reminder of time sheet due dates.

DO NOT fax time sheets. Send time sheets through the interoffice mail.

If a fax is requested by the Payroll Office, the original forms must follow the fax via the inter-office mail.

Time sheets are legal documents. ALL alterations should be initialed (even the white out) and both employee and supervisor must initial the changes. Original signatures are required. Do not use pencil.

Only college essential personnel are allowed to work on college closed holidays. Hours submitted by Student and Temporary employees on College closed holidays will not be paid. Approvers are encouraged to look over hours submitted for payment carefully before approval, do not use approve all.