Payroll Services serves the College's diverse customer base by providing accurate and timely compensation to all staff, faculty, and student employees in an efficient manner. We are committed to maintaining the most current understanding of Federal, State, and College regulations regarding payroll in order to provide accurate information.
We are located in the Central Services building in the Human Resources Suite on the first floor and are available Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 5:00pm. Questions can also be sent to our email.
Access 2019 correspondence
Access 2019 correspondence
- Faculty Deffered Pay AY20 (PDF, )
Frequently Asked Questions
The Payroll Office recommends that early in the pay period each employee should access his/her time sheet and enter the hours and/or leaves anticipated for the pay period. Re-access the time sheet before the time cutoff to make any changes or updates. Record the correct type of leave used, even if there is an insufficient balance. The system will automatically default any excess sick and personal leave to annual leave and excess annual leave to leave without pay.
All time must be submitted and approved before the deadline of 12 noon on the time sheet cut off day.
You will be required to submit a paper time sheet with your Supervisors approval.
You will not be paid on that pay cycle and you will have to wait until the following pay period for the back pay.
Non-exempt employees are entitled to overtime pay if hours worked are over 40 hours in a given week. For web entry submission, record your overtime worked on the line for overtime under each day the overtime was worked.
On paper time sheet record overtime worked over 40 hours on the overtime line and enter the code OTP. Follow the line to the day of the week worked. Under each day record your overtime, must have regular hours over 40 in a given week before one can claim overtime.
Only full time college employee can act as proxies. Students and Temps are not allowed to proxy. From your approval queue, stroll down to the bottom; click on Proxy button. From the drop down menu select the desired name and click SAVE.
To delete a person, from the drop down menu select the desired name and click DELETE.
NOTE: Proxies cannot have proxies.
For those employees who are scheduled to work on a day the College is Closed and not designated as essential personnel or not otherwise required to work, administrative leave shall be granted for the hours which the College is closed.
Employees should report their normal work hours in the time sheet row entitled “Administrative Leave.” Those employees with an alternative work schedule agreement should report their administrative leave in accordance with their normal work schedule as outlined in their respective agreements. Any other scheduled leave taken when administrative leave is granted should also be reported as administrative leave.
Casual Temporary Employees, Students and Work Study:
- Per our procedure, no administrative leave is granted for casual temporary employees, students or Work Study. Those casual temporary employees who were required to work should report hours worked per normal practice.
Those employees designated as essential personnel or otherwise required to work during the closing should report their time as follows:
- Non-Exempt: A non-exempt employee required to work during the closing should enter the hours worked during their normal work hours on the time sheet in the row entitled “Essential Pay Overtime.” For hours worked outside their normal work hours, enter all such time as “Essential Personnel Premium.” Hours granted as administrative leave should be entered on the time sheet in the row entitled “Administrative Leave.”
- Exempt-Essential: An exempt employee who is designated as Essential Personnel and required to work during the closing should enter actual hours worked on the time sheet in the row entitled “Essential Pay Straight.” For hours worked outside their normal work hours, enter all such time as “OTS.” Hours granted as administrative leave should be entered on the time sheet in the row entitled “Administrative Leave.”
- Exempt-Required to Work: All exempt required to work during the closing and not designated as essential may be granted straight overtime at the discretion of their first line administrator. If such permission is granted, employees should enter actual hours worked on the time sheet in the row entitled “OTS,” hours granted as administrative leave should be entered on the time sheet in the row entitled “Administrative Leave.
Federal Withholding Taxes are calculated based on the IRS federal tax table. The calculation is based on your bi-weekly gross amount and the W-4 exemption certificate that you completed. If the gross did not meet the federal tax table minimum, no tax will be taken. You can chose to pay additional federal tax by completing a new W-4.
Print the W-4 Employee's Federal Withholding Form (PDF, ) , complete it, sign it and send it to the Payroll Office for processing. The change will be effective on the next payroll processed unless there is an effective date indicated on the top right margin of the tax form. These forms require both a social security number and an M number in order to be processed. Please write your MC ID number next to your last name.
Montgomery College will withhold state tax from residents of Maryland, Virginia, the District, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. There is no form for Pennsylvania; a flat tax rate will be withheld automatically.
Payroll mails the paychecks the day before check date. Payroll recommends Direct Deposit.
W-2 earnings in Box 1 are your Federal Taxable Wages. Your direct deposit amounts are your net earnings after taxes. The amounts are shown on your pay advice available through MyMC.
Signed paper time sheets must be in the Payroll Office by 2:00 p.m., the second Wednesday of the pay period. Payroll will send weekly college wide e-mails of time sheet due dates and early deadlines if applicable. The deadlines are also included on the schedule of pay periods and pay dates. Approvers are encouraged to use their e-mail calendars to send themselves a reminder of time sheet due dates.
DO NOT fax time sheets. Send time sheets through the interoffice mail.
If a fax is requested by the Payroll Office, the original forms must follow the fax via the inter-office mail.
Time sheets are legal documents. ALL alterations should be initialed (even the white out) and both employee and supervisor must initial the changes. Original signatures are required. Do not use pencil.
Only college essential personnel are allowed to work on college closed holidays. Hours submitted by Student and Temporary employees on College closed holidays will not be paid. Approvers are encouraged to look over hours submitted for payment carefully before approval, do not use approve all.